Tuesday 31 March 2015

Week 22 The end of the Character Project

The week was focused on feedback and I had to act on it after receiving mine. I do have to say 3D modelling is not my strong area, which was why I had quite a few errors on my characters anatomy and clothing. I can draw a woman, but I can't model a well proportioned female body. During the feedback I've been also told that the character looked quite flat in a lot of areas. To add my concepting and idea generation sheets did not look esthetically good.
At the end of the conversation I was given a task to blog on my feedback and make a plan on how I will improve on my work.


I have finished the texturing part on the character and I admit that it was the easiest part in my opinion. I think that the colours on the texture worked quite well as they are quite calm and harmonious. Following the feedback I also had to fix anatomical errors on the characters model. I had fixed the neck, waist, chest, skirt and sleeves as one of the tutors warned me that such round objects wouldn't deform properly when applying a rig. I did not have enough time at the end to apply a rig or skeleton on my character, which means that I will need to learn rigging on my own soon.
Action plan:
Another action plan for the year of 2015, this time it will be focusing on character modelling and concepts.
To improve my character modelling I will:
1. Start concepting and modelling more characters in my own time to improve my skills in 3DS Max.
2. Also I will try modelling different body types to learn more about anatomy.
3. I will model separate parts of the body to improve topology on fingers, feet and limbs.
4. Practising will help me improve on creating creases and folds in clothing.
5. Modelling characters will help with learning to apply a rig on the characters.
The second part of the my plan will be based on making my work clean and tidy. I will also practise digital painting and cleaning up my photobashes. Also doing colour studies will broaden my knowledge of what colours work well.
The last week of the character project was quite intense and it also opened my eyes that there is always so much to improve on, not only in creativity but also in managing and organising work.

No comments:

Post a Comment