Tuesday 31 March 2015

Week 25 Conclusion of Phase 1 of the Toyota project

This was the last week to finish the Toyota Pickup model and also it meant concluding Phase 1 of the project. The week was special because it also meant once I'll hand in my car on Friday I will be free to enjoy the Easter holidays.
Continuing on with the last part of the car model, it was time to start texturing. I've applied an Ambient Occlusion onto the car model, meaning the 3D modelling software baked in lighting onto my car. The Occlusion effect gave my model a more realistic look. Because I was using it for the first time, texturing in Photoshop required using a few more effects and tools to make the lighting work with images.
I used two copies of the built in lighting render of my models texture sheet, and places them one on top of another. The first one was used for reference where the car parts were places and the second sheet of the render had a multiply effect applied on it so I would be able to use the lighting effects. The rest of the processes were simple: cutting images, adjusting levels and values, applying effects and filters to match the car and give it a realistic look. My goal was to make the Toyota look like it's been driving through muddy roads and had been quite old with the paint peeling off.
I am quite happy with the final outcome and colours I chose for the model. I think the red body and white bonnet work really well together.
If I were to redo this part of the project again I would try and add in more details to the texture and also the car. I would also try and fix the windows to make them, look more reflective because I've tried to do tinted windows with some dirt on it. Also if I unwrapped the front and back windows as one object instead of half I would have been able to add some writing on the dirty glass or imitate the front windscreen was wiped with a hand.  I would also try and use up the remaining tris to add in more detail to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment