Wednesday 22 October 2014

The end to Game Art Bootcamp, week 3

On week three in the visual studies I was introduced to two point perspective and the important role of colour, mood and lighting. My mission was to explore lighting in photography and two vanishing points in drawing. The easiest and most obvious choice was to sketch streets and buildings. I found it quite entertaining and some there were hints of three point perspective.

 photo DSCN4586_zps931db8e8.jpg
 photo DSCN4584_zps6c97bff3.jpg  photo DSCN4585_zps871d3cd7.jpg
In life drawing I continued practising sitting positions.
Once again I started out with a warm up, which I truly am starting to enjoy very much. For the reason that there is so much freedom in the line and marks I make. The image at the end I can produce is perhaps more interesting sometimes with exaggerated proportions.
 photo DSCN4587_zpsf95af9f9.jpg  photo DSCN4588_zps3b3988ab.jpg
The side I chose to draw from was quite difficult. For that reason my longer 10 minute sketch did not turn out as successful as I thought it would.


 photo DSCN4589_zps73a874bb.jpg  photo DSCN4590_zpsfe5b7431.jpg
My visual design day ended with digitally painting a template for a cubee-man project. The end goal was to create a superhero or a super-villain on Photoshop and then build the character from paper the next day in my game production class.

It felt really entertaining to see how my digital painting turned into an object I could touch. My first character was a space man. I wasn't quite satisfied with the first cubee, so I made another one on my free time.

 photo DSCN4591_zps4a9efbbc.jpg
The Coat dog and Space Man cubees. The character on the left was my second one I made. I worked more on the detail and I am quite satisfied with the outcome as I think it is much more interesting than the first cubee man model I made.
 photo bettycubee_zps8bd46e03.png
The template for the cubee man that I had to use to paint in.

This week I had a go at my first presentation where I discussed design aspects of my favourite character. I had to thoroughly explain in detail the colour palette, mood, pose, hues, traits, and etc... But the challenge was to in a short time such as three minutes describe my character in detail, using smart sentences as this was a formal presentation for a couple tutors and a small audience. This in return had to teach me to only talk about important things. And I do think that I will improve on it, in the next presentation.

For the rest of my week I continues practising texturing. I was unsuccessful with my hammer last week, so I took on the table and chairs instead. Unwrapping and texturing went smooth and here is the result.

 photo tableandchairstextured_zps93afa2f9.jpg
 photo Spheres_zps4f0d5605.jpg
The sand and dog sphere. The sand texture was quite difficult and I am planning to attempt to make a better looking sphere in the future.
I also made two spheres. One with a sand texture and another with a dog in it.

This concluded my learning journey and the bootcamp on learning basics for the course. I look forward to the upcoming projects and challenges that are about to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment