Thursday 12 February 2015

Week 19 Concluding initial ideas

The busy period continued with more idea generation and development.
I took one of the milkmaid photosbashes and added some details from the other ideas. The development of the idea continued with a search for an interesting silhouette, so I created some examples.
Following the style guide, the idea was to stick to chunky shapes, which is why I added more volume to the overall shape where possible. After deciding what silhouette worked well, it was time to generate value examples and colour tests.
Mapping out volumes in a big number was quite difficult, as my character was meant to have a very light blouse. It was important to keep lighter areas on top/middle of the character, so the viewers eye would have a better focus point.
Later it was time to collect some colour references, and those came from images of Renaissance and Rococo period paintings. The colour palettes were applied on my milkmaid ideas. The colours again following the style guide were warm and because the village is meant to have happy soft colours. There were two examples that I have considered using for my final design when texturing.
Aside the character project, in visual design we focused on foreshortening. Foreshortening appears when something like a human is sitting at an odd angle to the viewers position. Foreshortening mostly appears in the limbs, for example a leg may seem shorter or an arm.
I have to admit foreshortening is a very weak area of mine, but I did try to focus and push myself to achieve a more believable human figure with the distortion foreshortening created.











1 comment: